This is a rare opportunity to join a small, but expanding, publisher based in beautiful Bath.
Reporting directly to the Editor, you will be responsible for aiding the running of the magazine by sub-editing copy to house style; fitting In-Design pages; championing accuracy and appropriateness of all editorial copy, and assisting with workflow around the team and contributors to help ensure that all deadlines are met.
When required, you would also be expected to contribute pages of written copy for each issue of the magazine.
You would also fulfil occasional requests from the Publisher and Editor to contribute to the company’s output, including its magazines, websites, tablet editions, content marketing requirements and event collateral.
The job requires attention to detail, good organisation skills, a calm approach and self-discipline.
The main product is the print magazine and is the UK's most popular in their sector. The brand is well established for over 2 decades and is published 13 times a year and presents independent, passionate coverage of their sector in the UK and around the world, backed by a wealth of subject knowledge.
The team produce this content whilst having fun - they produce what they believe to be truly inspiring content.
Key role responsibilities
● Sub-editing incoming copy to the given criteria including: adherence to house style/tone, word count, grammatical accuracy, legal accuracy, spelling, complying with other details in Editors’ commissions.
● Fitting InDesign pages with all the above criteria, adding or amending captions, standfirsts, headers, etc, where necessary and ensuring page numbers, folios and other page furniture are correct.
● Making Editor’s amendments and approving PDF proofs when directed.
● Sub-editing and contributing to all other areas of magazine activity – marketing/subs fliers. ● Handling sub-contract magazine production.
● Supplements, etc, and branded websites and social media pages.
Essential skills and experience:
● Proven experience on a newspaper or magazine in a sub-editing role
● A keen eye for detail
● Impeccable grammar and spelling
● Solid IT skills including InDesign, Photoshop and cloud software such as Google Drive and Box ● The ability to learn quickly
● Self-motivation, responsibility, and enthusiasm
● Organisation and time-management skills
● The capacity to work calmly and efficiently under pressure
This role is to start ASAP and they offer a salary c£25k. Please apply with full CV for more details!