This brand new role is working for an established, successful company who publish to a global audience. You will assist the Information Manager - many of the employees of the company work from home (they do have a few UK office too) and this role is likely to be home based. They would ideally like you to work within 1.5 hours of London as they do meet there when required.
You will have responsibility for sourcing and organising data their initiatives. As part of this the successful candidate will help to implement a new data management system for extracting data from the web and for delivery to internal users for use in news articles, resources and upcoming data driven solutions. Their current centralised information function provides their editorial team with key announcements and press released developments, which they use alongside their own contacts and leads to develop news and other content. This process will need to be maintained while the new system is implemented. More projects will be undertaken once the new system is up and running.
They are looking for a versatile team-player who can demonstrate success in delivering data projects (they will look at grads with project based work undertaken but ideally the candidate would have a few months up to 2-3 years experience).
You should be able to identify our customers’ business needs, and work collaboratively with our team to translate that understanding into valuable information products. They should be innovative, technically-skilled, and able to fit in with a small but fast growing company.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- working with the Data Manager to implement new data sourcing technologies (including managing the tool, maintaining the content extraction agents and the procedure for screening the outputs from this)
- working with the Data Manager in the development of methods/platforms for disseminating sourced data internally and externally, especially as databases and data-driven solutions.
- managing the existing information sourcing system (which is based on an automatic tool for tracking and mining data from web pages, bookmarks, and incoming press releases);
- ensuring the existing information sourcing process is well maintained and fit-for-purpose until the new system is implemented;
- daily searching (using existing information sourcing system, until new system is implemented), abstracting, and uploading relevant information to a spreadsheet in a clear and accurate way;
- working with colleagues to provide them with new sources of data to suit growing and/or changing needs for data solutions;
- working/liaising with colleagues on specific projects to identify new data sources, as necessary;
- keeping up with the latest technological developments in data sourcing;
- reviewing existing processes with a view to advising on the application of new technology.
- the creation of website, data solution and resource content, based on sourced data.
In addition, the successful candidate will:
- have some understanding of chemicals, product safety, risks and regulation and how this impacts organisations, or is intelligent, keen and able to learn about this complex agenda quickly;
- have well-developed research skills and the ability to spot gems of relevant information;
- be able to identify information relevant to the chemicals risk management agenda, and see value in it;
- be comfortable reading regulatory text and searching non-English websites for relevant information;
- be innovative, with awareness of users' needs;
- have strong IT skills and knowledge, especially relating to the sourcing, organisation and dissemination of information;
- show attention to detail, accurate, consistent in approach;
- be confident and able to work independently, as well as interact with the wider team;
- have good time management to handle multiple tasks and flexibility to take on a variety of tasks;
- and be scientifically minded, with at least a BSc. in Chemistry, Biology or other relevant scientific discipline.
The salary for this role is very competitive- for more information and to apply, please send your CV today!