This is an exceptional opportunity for a business or policy journalist to join the rapidly growing global business intelligence/information service and lead their coverage of Asia Pacific. The ideal candidate will have experience of reporting on one or more countries in the Asia Pacific region and strong editing and newsdesk content planning skills.
The desk editor is responsible for ensuring coverage of developments in their industry and management across the Asia Pacific region is market-leading and provides their global customers with the trusted intelligence they require on the key issues of the day.
Reporting to the company’s London-based global managing editor, the successful candidate will have excellent English writing and editing skills, proven newsdesk content planning skills and, preferably, experience of overseeing the output of a small team of reporters.
The desk editor will be a very significant contributor to the Asia Pacific desk’s output, commissioning, writing and editing news reports, as well as occasional features, while ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of the newsdesk.
The successful candidate will need to develop a good working knowledge of their industry (knowledge of science/environment/chemicals/policy/regulations useful but not essential) are regulated across the region, develop excellent industry contacts. The desk editor will need to collaborate with the company’s wider news, analyst and customer teams, to ensure the Asia Pacific desk’s content is insightful, accurate and valuable to our readers.
Ideally based in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or the UK, the successful candidate would also contribute to occasional virtual and in-person events as a discussion panel chair, for example.
- High level of professionalism and personal drive, with the ability to work remotely
- Highly organised, with excellent forward planning skills and the confidence to prioritise in what can be an exceptionally busy news environment
- A proven track record of writing clear, accurate and insightful news reports (including off-diary) that address the information needs of businesses
- Excellent, proven editing and content planning skills
- Highly proactive communicator with internal work colleagues – a team-player
- A natural networker with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build excellent industry contacts
- Flexibility to travel within the Asia Pacific region and the UK on an occasional basis
- Ability to quickly develop a good working knowledge of the regulatory environment across Asia Pacific, the key drivers and impacts on chemicals manufacturers, distributors and users
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Knowledge of, or fluency in, a relevant language in addition to English would be an advantage, but not essential
Duties and responsibilities
- Planning the provision of high-value editorial news content for businesses across the Asia Pacific market and ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of the desk
- Editing news stories written by the Asia Pacific desk staff reporter and pool of freelance journalists
- Researching and writing news stories on the Asia Pacific region and occasional features
- Increasing the Asia Desk pool of freelance writers
- Acting as a brand ambassador for the company at events, including those run by third parties
- Developing a detailed knowledge of their products and services, and the needs of its customers
- Essential: Proven editorial management skills such as directing and editing writers’ copy
- Preferable: 5+ years in an editorial environment including a B2B newsroom
- An advantage: Ability to speak/understand an East Asian language
Please state your salary expectations on your cover letter please. This is a great opportunity to join a growing company, really lovely people who are passionate about this business.