My client is looking for a Senior Editor to commission expert analysis and feature content for its specialist ‘Hub’ news site, as well as the monthly global news briefing, directories, special reports and custom publications. They're a global news business that operate in a niche industry - they are growing rapidly and are a company with intergrity who also value their staff. This is a work from home position.
They run an influential online subscription information and events business, It is highly regarded among regulators, authorities, industry and NGOs.
The Senior Editor would be responsible for commissioning analysis and feature content from their global expert community, as well as our many other products, new directories, special reports and other one-off and serial publications.
- deciding what that content should be and producing article specifications based on our editorial quality criteria which aim for relevant, accurate, independent, timely and engaging articles;
- commissioning contributions both from the 15-strong in-house editorial team and external freelance writers and experts from our stakeholder communities of industry, NGOs, government and authorities;
- managing external contributors, including negotiating terms of agreement (rates/article lengths/deadlines), ensuring articles are delivered on time, and copyright and other documents, such as conflicts of interest, are signed;
- editing contributed copy so it meets our editorial quality criteria, preparing it for publication, and working with our information and subbing desks;
- writing pieces based on news releases, expert input and/or attendance at events; and
- liaising with other members to meet product needs, and deliver content as agreed.
This is a senior position, which will work for a candidate who knows their community of product safety professionals and is familiar with writing for a business community right down to the consumer interface. They should also be an ideas person with the ability to drive the agenda forwards by identifying topics that are cutting edge, and experts that are able to provide valuable insights and advice.
The Senior Editor needs to demonstrate good judgement, and have an eye for detail. They will need to be able to work independently, while also being a strong team player.
Other essential skills include the ability to network, negotiate, communicate, command high quality content and manage budgets.
With multiple contributors, across several products, the right candidate will need to be well-organised. They need to be good at setting and sticking to schedules and meeting deadlines. They will also occasionally have to manage a heavy workload when several projects occur at the same time.
The Senior Editor will also contribute to other aspects of dynamic news, information and events businesses. The position offers regular travel to meetings and events around the world.
We are looking for someone with over 5 years of experience, either in business-to-business publications, or within the Chemicals industry.
Salary £35K-40K, home-based, preferably located near London.